Updated: Mar 22
In two-and-a-half hours time, it'll be a new decade! So here are my top ten things I've learnt and/or loved this decade. (Not necessarily in order of importance).
1. Sean (obviously) - He's literally changed my life and helped me grow into someone I'm proud to be. He's a good chap, a great husband (if a little annoying at times).
2. Mac - my first love, my little Yorkshire Terrier. Wow he was good dog, I still miss him.
3. Becoming an Auntie. One of the best experiences in the world. Three little human beings, who didn't even exist 10 years ago, are now here in the world, reminding me how beautiful life is. Thank you O, E and L.
4. Music - specifically Singing. For the majority of the past decade, Singing, which had played such a huge part of my life growing up, was distinctly lacking. Along with a move to Exeter, came renewed opportunities to get back to singing, which I did. So much so, that I've even started my own teaching business, which is going from strength to strength, and will hopefully play an even bigger role our lives throughout the next decade.
5. Mental health - is just as important as physical health and should NOT be neglected. We need to talk about it, we need to campaign for it, and above all, we need to protect it.
6. Love and loss - in the past 10 years I've lost a number of loved ones. It's been tough, really tough. I've learnt that there is no finishing line to cross when it come to grieving. Rather, it's more like entering a new way of living. The pain ebbs and flows, but the love I have for those people, and the love they had for me, did not end with their last breath. It connects us still, through time and space. Knowing that makes living each day a little easier.
7. Nature is the tonic for the soul. Swimming in the sea, walking in the woods, gardening or just sitting and being in nature.
8. Cooking is actually quite fun.
9. No-one has their sh*t together, so don't worry.
10. Family and friends. Make sure you hold on tight to the good human beings in your life. Don't take them for granted. Try to be the the friend that you would want in your life.
And one for luck... travel as much as you can. The more you travel, the more you learn, and the more you realise that the majority of people in this world, are lovely.